Lunch was grilled shrimp, grilled oysters, fried fish, fried oysters, fried shrimp, collard greens, french fries, corn on the cob and mini corn muffins with honey butter. We thought there could be no more. That was until the waitress offered us dessert of southern pecan pie. We decided that we would take one piece of pie with four forks. It was delivered to the table on a large plate topped with ice cream and whipped cream and chocolate syrup. Thanks goodness we only ordered one piece! Now, to know exactly how much this dessert was enjoyed you will have to take a look at Ellie's blog for the day at http://www.justravelin.blogspot.com/.
The four of us have decided that so far Uncle Bubba's is at the top of our list. The guys are trying to figure out how they can go back there before we leave Savannah.
Now, it's time to find the lighthouse and beach...
This is the house where the main light keeper lived
This is the kitchen...how would you like to have cooked on that stove or used that iron?
This is the living room
These flowers were blooming all around the house
Time to climb the 178 steps to the top
yes, it was 178 steps to the top
thank goodness for those landings every 25 steps
We have made it to the top!
What a view...
The importance of a lighthouse on Tybee Island was understood from the earliest days of establishing the British Colony of Georgia in 1733. Founder of the colony, General James Oglethorpe realized that ships bringing settlers and supplies to Savannah were dependent upon safe and well marked waterways and ordered that the lighthouse be built on Tybee Island to mark the entrance to the Savannah River and warn the ships of the shallow waters along the Georgia coastline.
This is the fourth lighthouse to be built on Tybee Island since the first one in 1733. It was built in 1866, with the lower sixty feet of the 1773 lighthouse being used as the foundation. Ninety four feet was added making it one hundred and fifty four feet tall and it was reclassified at a major aid to navigation and required three keepers to man the light station. The new light was displayed for the first time on October 1, 1867 and could be seen for over 18 miles at sea.