Monday, July 18, 2011

Not Quite As Planned...

Today, was our last day with Greg, Kate, and Zachary.  We really didn't have a plan, but, we knew that at the end of the day, we wanted to grill, have a campfire, and make S'mores.

This morning, while we were waiting, for them to get to the RV Park, Poppa and Andrew thought they would get the


wood ready for tonight's campfire.  They were out chopping away, when Andrew came to the door and said, "Moppa hurry, Poppa, cut his thumb".

By the time I got to the door with a towel, I met Mark.  With one look, it was decided that we needed to make a trip to town to find the Urgent Care Center.  As we were pulling out, Greg and Kate were pulling in.  So, I left them with all the kids and headed into town with Mark.

Without any trouble, we found the Urgent Care Center and checked in.  It wasn't too long until we were able to see Dr. Sanders.  She determined that his thumb would need to be stitched up.  She did a great sewing job and 5 stitches later we were on our way.

While, we were in town, Greg and Kate decided to take the kids to the ski area to play on the Alpine Slides.  Thanks Uncle Hoppy and Aunt Kate for a great adventure and lunch.

This afternoon, once we were all back to the RV Park, Greg and Poppa hung out with the kids and laid low.  Kate and I decided to make a run into Durango.  We heard about a


great photo spot on Rim Drive that overlooks the city.  We wanted to take a look for ourselves.   They were right.  We found this spot on the campus of Fort Lewis College, and


this spot by the golf course where we could see


for miles and miles.

We found these beautiful


roses and


flowers blooming right outside the


small chapel located on campus.

Before the rains came,


Kate was able to snap a shot of


this deer on the golf course, just across the road from the Lion's Den.  The golfers didn't seem to bother her at all.

Before heading back out to the RV Park, we made one last trip down Main Street and the tee shirt shops.  We found a few items we couldn't live without.

By the time we returned to the motor home, everyone was ready for dinner.  Poppa started the grilling while Kate and I got the rest together.  Yummy dinner...chicken, corn-on-the-cob, green beans, salad, cantaloupe, and garlic bread.

After dinner, Andrew started our


campfire.  We


roasted marshmallows, and


enjoyed S'mores until no one could eat anymore.

Poppa, we are sorry


about your thumb, and even though our day didn't go quite as planned, thanks for chopping the wood that made our


great fire that completed our day and weekend with Greg, Kate, and Zachary.


  1. Wow Mark that was a close call. Glad to hear it Was fixed up and from the picture you look as if you are going to make it.
    Can't keep a good man down

  2. I'm sitting here just shaking my head. You were supposed to chop wood, not your finger, Mark! LOL, hope it doesn't hurt too bad.

    Deb & Rod

  3. Sorry to hear about Mark's thumb... glad he didn't cut it off!!! Your day still ended up being a good day with the kids!
    Have fun, keep the ax away from Mark and Travel safe

  4. Ouch!!!! Unfortunately I've "been there - done that" - not one of my prouder moments. Heal fast and enjoy the rest of your trip - SAFELY.